Associate Research Scientist - Functional Biology
AbCellera is a young, energetic, and rapidly growing tech company with an amazing team that searches, decodes, and analyzes natural immune systems to find antibodies that its partners can develop into drugs to prevent and treat disease. We are seeking a highly motivated, independent Associate Research Scientist to generate data to answer key biological questions for the Translational Biology team. This scientist will help to build and test biological models and systems to increase confidence in the relevance of multiple targets so we can help our partners move faster and with less risk to the clinic. This lab-based position is a great opportunity to establish complex functional assays that will help identify lead antibodies for ultimate clinical development. Through close collaboration across the company the scientist will support the identification of the best antibodies for the program. We need someone who has a passion for immuno-oncology and how to treat these diseases. This role offers the exciting opportunity to join one of Canada’s top biotech companies, while growing with a team that believes in collaboration, innovation, and mutual support.
How you might spend your days:
- Participating in the planning and executing complex biological experiments, either independently or in collaboration with your teammates
- Maintaining various mammalian cell cultures
- Isolate and analyze primary cells and cell subsets to be used in various assays
- Developing and optimizing functional in vitro assays to evaluate the function of antibody candidates
- Operating and maintaining lab instruments and automation robots
- Assist in reagent preparation, maintenance, and quality control
- Analyzing and summarizing key data sets and results, and prepare research updates for internal review, including written reports and oral presentations
- Developing and implementing standard operating procedures
- Growing your technical skill set and engaging in professional development
We'd love to hear from you if:
- You are able to work in a self-directed manner, demonstrate initiative, and are willing to work flexible hours
- You thrive in a collaborative, fast-paced work environment with multiple competing priorities
- You think critically and you are curious about exploring new technologies and developments in the field
- You are excited about the prospect of directing your functional assay expertise to driving therapeutic antibody development
- You take pride in being a self-motivated person, fast learner, team player, and creative problem solver
Required qualifications and experience:
- A MSc in Biological Sciences (Cell Biology, Immunology or other relevant field) with a preference for work experience with cell based functional assays, or a BSc in Biological Sciences with 5+ years of relevant work experience
- A deep understanding of mammalian cell culture, including primary cells, cell lines and stable and transient expression systems
- A basic understanding of antibody structure and function (don’t worry, we’ll get you up to speed!)
- Excellent documentation, communication and organizational skills
- Impeccable attention to detail
- Experience in techniques including flow cytometry, primary cell isolation, ELISA, reporter cell assays
- Experience with troubleshooting and executing cell assays is an asset
Offers & benefits:
- The opportunity to work with an inspired team on challenging problems that matter
- An attractive compensation package, including health and lifestyle benefits
- A minimum of 3 weeks’ vacation
- Opportunities for personal and professional development
At AbCellera, we’re solving tough problems and creating innovative solutions from the ground up - custom immunizations, microfluidics, high-throughput imaging, genomics, computation, machine learning and laboratory automation. We’re revolutionizing how our scientists can explore antibodies and the scale at which they can do so. This is life-changing research and you could be a part of it.
You’ll join a diverse and multi-disciplinary team of biologists, biochemists, engineers, bioinformaticians, computer scientists and physicists - all working together to bring better therapies to patients. We’re a growing company with a high-throughput pipeline and the drive to be the best in the industry. This isn’t just about having the best technology. We know we need a world-class team of visionaries and innovators. We look for people with drive and energy. Idealists. People we love and people we trust. This may be unconventional, but it is the key to our success. We’re looking for someone like you to help us get there.
Please send us your application through our website and refer to Job ID 220098 in your cover letter. We apologize in advance, but we receive a large volume of applications, and will only contact those who are selected for an interview.
Something looks off?