LIMS Architect & Lead Developer
A-Alpha Bio is an early-stage and rapidly-growing drug discovery company headquartered in Seattle, WA. We are enabling the next generation of high-impact therapeutics by combining high-throughput synthetic biology with state-of-the-art machine learning. We partner with leading pharma and biotech companies to enable the discovery of antibodies, molecular glues, and other protein interaction-related drugs. In parallel, we use our AlphaSeq technology internally to build a Biologics Pipeline for clinical development and/or asset licensing opportunities.
This role is not open to remote applicants and would require relocation to Seattle, WA.
Starting Salary Range: $147,000 - $179,000 per year
Exemption Status: Exempt
Location Expectations: Onsite
A-Alpha Bio is seeking an experienced and highly motivated LIMS Architect & Lead Developer to lead the identification, deployment, and maintenance of our Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS). The role will lead requirements gathering, solution selection, configuration, migration from and/or integration with legacy systems, deployment, and sustaining of existing systems. The ideal candidate will have extensive experience in both LIMS architecture and development, and will be enthusiastic about working on both high-level strategy and hands-on development tasks. The ideal candidate will have strong project management and communication skills and be adept at translating user needs into software requirement specifications.
- Develop, implement, and sustain a comprehensive roadmap for our LIMS application(s), ensuring it meets current and future business requirements.
- Work with laboratory personnel, management, and IT support to define and understand user requirements for current and future laboratory expansion and automation projects.
- Identify candidate solutions and lead RFP, demo, and final selection process.
- Work with external vendor to configure and deploy LIMS application(s) to meet requirements.
- As needed, act as lead developer on projects to integrate, deploy, or extend LIMS application(s).
- Continuously assess and optimize LIMS performance, functionality, and security, ensuring data integrity and system reliability.
- Develop and maintain thorough documentation, including system architecture, standard operating procedures, and training materials.
- Train and support end-users in the proper use of LIMS.
- Serve as primary point of contact with LIMS software vendors.
- Create query tools to support monitoring of KPIs, status reporting, and meeting other operational and business needs.
- Perform other duties, as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Bioinformatics, or a related field.
- 5+ years of industry experience in LIMS development, implementation, and management in the biotechnology or pharmaceutical industries.
- Proven experience in LIMS architecture, database design, and system integration.
- Strong knowledge of programming languages such as Java, Python, or C#.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and attention to detail.
- Strong project management skills, with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and meet deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to effectively collaborate with cross-functional teams.
- Master's degree in Computer Science, Bioinformatics, or a related field.
- Experience with Benchling (or other ELN or LES systems).
- Experience in Program Management.
- Experience with agile development methodologies.
- Familiarity with regulated laboratory environments, e.g. GAMP5.
- Familiarity with data visualization tools and techniques.
We offer competitive compensation, including benefits and equity in a fast-growing start-up. Applicants must have legal authorization to work in the United States.
About A-Alpha Bio
A-Alpha Bio is an early-stage biotechnology company combining synthetic biology and machine learning to dramatically improve the discovery of high-impact therapeutics. We believe that abundant high-quality data is critical for understanding biology and curing disease – and synthetic biology is our catalyst. Our proprietary AlphaSeq platform uses genetically engineered cells to quantitatively measure millions of protein interactions – from which we generate high-resolution models of biology.
In 2018, we spun out of the University of Washington’s Institute for Protein Design and Center for Synthetic Biology – both fantastic communities of brilliant and highly entrepreneurial scientists. Since the company’s inception, we have focused on partnering with pharmaceutical companies to discover and optimize drugs for therapeutic areas ranging from infectious disease to cancer. We are growing rapidly, and new members of the team should expect a fast-paced and highly dynamic work environment. We are building a diverse, meritocratic, and supportive team that shares our values of speaking the truth, shooting for the moon, taking the reins, playing for the team, and improving the world.
A-Alpha Bio is headquartered in a brand-new combined office/lab space in downtown Seattle's Belltown neighborhood. While the startup lifestyle occasionally requires grueling hours, we strongly value the need for a work-life balance and time out of the lab/office. We are fortunate to be situated in a region that is renowned for its premier outdoor activities, including hiking, biking, climbing, skiing, kayaking, and sailing. At A-Alpha, you’ll find many who love the outdoors, but also gamers, amateur chefs, explorers, sports fans, bakers, crafters, photographers, brewers, jetsetters, animal lovers, and artists. Whatever your passions, you belong at A-Alpha Bio.