Director, Corporate Counsel, Securities & Transactions
4D Molecular Therapeutics
At 4D Molecular Therapeutics, Inc. (“4DMT”), we boldly innovate to unlock the full potential of genetic medicines for countless patients. We are committed to breaking boundaries and daring to cure as we develop new and foundational products and product components through our growing technology platforms.
4DMT is a clinical-stage biotherapeutics company harnessing the power of directed evolution for targeted genetic medicines. We seek to unlock the full potential of gene therapy using our platform, Therapeutic Vector Evolution (TVE), which combines the power of directed evolution with our approximately one billion synthetic AAV capsid-derived sequences to invent evolved vectors for use in our products. We believe key features of our targeted and evolved vectors will help us create targeted product candidates with improved therapeutic profiles. These profiles will allow us to treat a broad range of large market diseases, unlike most current genetic medicines that generally focus on rare or small market diseases.
We have built a deep portfolio of AVV-based gene therapy product candidates, with five product candidates in clinical trials: 4D-150 for the treatment of wet age-related macular degeneration (wet AMD) and diabetic macular edema (DME), 4D-710 for the treatment of cystic fibrosis lung disease, 4D-310 for the treatment of Fabry disease cardiomyopathy, 4D-125 for the treatment of X-linked retinitis pigmentosa (XLRP), and 4D-110 for the treatment of choroideremia. In addition, we have two product candidates in preclinical studies: 4D-175 for geographic atrophy (GA) and 4D-725 for alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency.
To-date, we have demonstrated clinical proof-of-concept for three evolved vectors in three therapeutic areas and routes of administration with five products and patient populations. We believe this validates the power of our directed evolution platform for discovering superior vectors compared to wildtype viral vectors. We have built a robust and efficient product engine with 6 open Investigational New Drug Applications (INDs) in the U.S., 1 IND in Taiwan, and 1 Clinical Trial Approval (CTA) in Australia. We believe we are positioned to create, develop, manufacture and, if approved, effectively commercialize targeted genetic medicines that could transform the lives of patients suffering from debilitating diseases.
In addition to TVE, our technology includes a robust AAV manufacturing platform and onsite manufacturing facility that allows us to rapidly produce and test research grade material and scale up to GMP clinical material. This internal capability and close collaboration between our R&D and Manufacturing teams has greatly accelerated the pace of discovery at 4DMT.
• Fully integrated clinical-phase company with internal manufacturing
• Demonstrated ability to move rapidly from idea to IND
• Five candidate products in the clinic and two declared pre-clinical programs
• Robust technology and IP foundation, including our TVE and manufacturing platforms
• Initial product safety and efficacy data substantiates the value of our platforms
• Opportunities to expand to other indications and modalities within genetic medicine
4DMT is seeking an experienced securities and transactions attorney to support and counsel its Finance, IT, Facilities, Clinical and Business Development teams, with an emphasis on SEC filings and disclosure requirements, earnings releases and other investor communications, capital market and other financing transactions, and other day to day transactional work. The Director, Corporate Counsel, Securities/Transactions will collaborate across the organization and will act as a strategic business partner for the Finance, IT, and Facilities teams, as well as assist the Chief Legal and HR Officer with governance, compliance, and employment matters. This is an exciting opportunity to work with other members of a growing legal team and across the organization and gain exposure to a wide variety of business and legal issues at a clinical stage public biotech company.
The ideal candidate must be an experienced attorney, with a strong background in the life sciences industry and excellent business judgment and interpersonal skills. Substantive experience drafting SEC disclosures and financing documents, as well as drafting and negotiating agreements in support of day to day operations at a biotech/pharma company is essential.
In this role, the Director, Corporate Counsel, Securities/Transactions will report directly to the Chief Legal and HR Officer, based out of our Emeryville, CA office.
- Prepare and review SEC filings, including periodic and current reports, proxy statements and Section 16 reports in collaboration with internal and external accounting and legal teams.
- Work on corporate governance matters, including assisting in the preparation of certain corporate policies and providing training to employees on those policies.
- Assist with stock option and employee stock purchase programs in conjunction with Finance and HR teams.
- Assist with administering and monitoring the company’s Insider Trading Policy, including any 10b5-1 plans that may be in place from time to time.
- Assist with planning and execution of the Annual Meeting of Stockholders.
- Provide legal advice on disclosure matters, including investor presentations, press releases, and other corporate internal and external communications.
- Assist with capital markets and related financing transactions as needed, including equity and debt offerings.
- Support Internal Audit with SOX compliance matters.
- Act as the business partner to the finance, IT, and facilities organizations, including preparing, reviewing and negotiating a diverse range of agreements common to the biotechnology industry, including master services agreements, consulting agreements and lease agreements.
- Provide advice in a wide array of practice areas and special projects as needed.
- Stay current on governance trends and best practices, SEC and NASDAQ.
- Supervise and manage outside counsel.
- Participate in the continuous improvement of legal department operations through problem solving, strategic planning, project management, process, and systems improvement (include contracts management systems), and financial/budget management, including through the implementation of new software tools.
- BA/BSc and JD degree or equivalent from an accredited law school required.
- BA/BSc, MS, or higher degree in molecular biology, genetics, biochemistry, or other biological field related to the biopharma industry preferred.
- Admission to, and in good standing with, at least one U.S. state bar (CA preferred).
- 10+ or more years practice as an attorney (can be a combination of national law firm and in-house experience), including at least 5 years of relevant SEC reporting and securities law compliance experience.
- 2+ years in-house experience at a publicly traded biotechnology, pharmaceutical, or biopharmaceutical company preferred.
- Experience working with Finance teams and auditors.
- Experience managing contracts processes and policies, and using contracts lifecyle management (CLM) tools.
- Experience in counseling life sciences clients with respect to day-to-day transactions.
- Excellent analytical skills; creative, pragmatic problem-solving abilities in a transactional context; and efficient, precise drafting of customized agreements; demonstrated success in proactively and independently driving transactions and processes.
- Highest integrity, excellent judgment, and the ability to proactively recognize and effectively communicate legal issues to the Chief Legal and HR Officer and other members of company management.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills and demonstrated leadership on cross-functional teams.
- Team player with strong collaboration and organizational skills.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, demanding work environment.
- Strong organizational and project management skills with an ability to quickly and effectively prioritize to meet changing needs.
- Strong ability to influence and present complex information to senior leaders.
Base salary compensation range:
Bay Area Range
Please note, the base salary compensation range and actual salary offered to the final candidate depends on various factors: candidate’s geographical location, relevant work experience, skills, and years of experience.