Staff Full Stack Software Engineer
10x Genomics was founded to deliver powerful and reliable tools that fuel key scientific discoveries and drive exponential progress in our mastery of biology to advance human health. Our talented team has a distinguished record of creating innovative instruments, reagents, and software that analyze biological systems at a resolution that matches the complexity of biology.
As a Full Stack Software Engineer, you will routinely interact with computational biologists, scientists, infrastructure teams, other development teams, and our manufacturing teams. Your work will involve creating software services, tooling, and infrastructure, as well as building application frameworks and templates for other developers, automating quality control processes, and creating apps that track vital experimental information. In addition, your work will allow software engineers across the company to more effectively develop, test, and ship highly robust and performant software. These will primarily be React applications on top of AWS services. In addition, you will be building backend services in AWS to support various 10x products and services.
As 10x's product lines mature and evolve, you will be exposed to a variety of new technologies and asked to develop new tools and services to support our cutting-edge R&D efforts by engaging across the company with other teams.
What you will be doing
- Design, build, test, and ship production-ready software.
- Work with scientists, hardware, product management, and other software teams to determine the shape of new features and services to build.
- Dive deeply into your users technical challenges and assist them with efficient solutions.
- Provide strong technical leadership and a focus on continuous improvement.
- Develop systems for efficiently managing petabytes of genomic and image data.
- Build and maintain software processes, tools, and infrastructure.
- Make substantive changes to existing internal web tools across the stack, from cloud deployment to UI changes.
- Develop single-page React applications as well as service APIs to serve and display experimental data.
- Deploy and monitor internal applications.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, engineering, math, or scientific discipline and 6 years of software development experience; OR 8 years of professional experience building software.
- Significant programming experience and expertise with Go and Python.
- Significant programming experience and expertise with React for front-end development.
Preferred skills and experience
- Excellent understanding of computer science fundamentals.
- Expertise with Linux, Docker, and Kubernetes.
- Development experience with TypeScript.
- Experience testing and deploying applications either to the cloud or within a production manufacturing environment.
- Deep understanding of testing, build, continuous integration, deployment & continuous monitoring.
- Experience designing long-term data storage in a variety of stores, and the knowledge to know what storage schemes are best for different kinds of data.
- Demonstrated disciplined and rigorous software engineering practices
- You understand the importance of software processes in service of engineering
- You understand the importance of testing
- Willingness to solve problems irrespective of where it is in the tech stack.
- A background in biology is not required, but curiosity and scientific interest is.
Below is the base pay range for this full time position. The actual base pay will depend on several factors unique to each candidate, including one’s skills, qualifications, and experience. At 10x, base pay is also just one component of the Company’s total compensation package. This role is also eligible for 10x’s equity grants, its comprehensive health and retirement benefit programs, and its annual bonus program or sales incentive program. Your 10x recruiter can share more about the Company’s total compensation package during the hiring process.
About 10x Genomics
At 10x Genomics, accelerating our understanding of biology is more than a mission for us. It is a commitment. This is the century of biology, and the breakthroughs we make now have the potential to change the world.
We enable scientists to advance their research, allowing them to address scientific questions they did not even know they could ask. Our tools have enabled fundamental discoveries across biology including cancer, immunology, and neuroscience.
Our teams are empowered and encouraged to follow their passions, pursue new ideas, and perform at their best in an inclusive and dynamic environment. We know that behind every scientific breakthrough, there is a deep infrastructure of talented people driving the life sciences industry and making it possible for scientists and clinicians to make new strides. We are dedicated to finding the very best person for every aspect of our work because the innovations and discoveries that we enable together will lead to better technologies, better treatments, and a better future. Find out how you can make a 10x difference.
Individuals seeking employment at 10x Genomics are considered without regards to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, or sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
10x does not accept unsolicited applicants submitted by third-party recruiters or agencies. Any resume or application submitted to 10x without a vendor agreement in place will be considered unsolicited and property of 10x, and 10x will not pay a placement fee.