Computational Biologist - Image Analysis
About the role:
10x Genomics is looking for an image processing expert to join the Computational Biology group. You will create image analysis methods to support development of our microscopy-based genomics products. You will work closely with our assay-development, software, and compbio teams to create image analysis methods that are robust, accurate, and computationally efficient.
Individuals applying for this position must be skilled in several areas of image processing, computer vision, and/or pattern recognition. It is expected that you will have deep experience with either image segmentation or image registration.
What you will be doing:
- Collaborate with colleagues to understand often ill-defined image analysis problems. As an image analysis expert, you will help your colleagues refine the problem and understand trade-offs such as full automation versus reproducibility versus development cost
- You will select from state-of-the-art methods, both old and new, rapidly implement, test, optimize, and verify those methods
- You will develop models or simulations to understand, test, and communicate key trade-offs
- You will help select and develop methods for quantitatively measuring success of the algorithms that you have developed
- Finally, you will create high-quality, robust implementations of production algorithms that will perform well in the hands of both internal and external customers
To be successful in this role, you will need:
- PhD or MS plus equivalent experience in a quantitative field (e.g., computer science, bioengineering, electrical engineering, physics, computational/systems biology or related field)
- Image processing: segmentation, object detection & classification, feature extraction, and registration - you have a deep understanding of both historical and cutting-edge methods (not everything is deep learning) and the ability to choose the right tool for the job
- General purpose machine learning skills: classification, fitting & regression, optimization methods
- Ability to quickly develop custom analysis methods and algorithms and apply them to large data sets
Also, we’d like to see:
- Expert level experience in relevant tooling, e.g.: image analysis packages such as OpenCV and ITK; ML tools such as Pytorch and Tensorflow; and compiled programming languages such as C++ or Rust
- Experience with microscopy is a plus
- Individuals applying for this position must be self-starters, strategic thinkers, action driven, flexible in changing direction and methods, thrive in a fast paced environment, excel at managing multiple priorities, succeed in communicating with all levels within the organization and provide immediate contribution
Below is the base pay range for this full time position. The actual base pay will depend on several factors unique to each candidate, including one’s skills, qualifications, and experience. At 10x, base pay is also just one component of the Company’s total compensation package. This role is also eligible for 10x’s equity grants, its comprehensive health and retirement benefit programs, and its annual bonus program or sales incentive program. Your 10x recruiter can share more about the Company’s total compensation package during the hiring process.
About 10x Genomics
At 10x Genomics, accelerating our understanding of biology is more than a mission for us. It is a commitment. This is the century of biology, and the breakthroughs we make now have the potential to change the world.
We enable scientists to advance their research, allowing them to address scientific questions they did not even know they could ask. Our tools have enabled fundamental discoveries across biology including cancer, immunology, and neuroscience.
Our teams are empowered and encouraged to follow their passions, pursue new ideas, and perform at their best in an inclusive and dynamic environment. We know that behind every scientific breakthrough, there is a deep infrastructure of talented people driving the life sciences industry and making it possible for scientists and clinicians to make new strides. We are dedicated to finding the very best person for every aspect of our work because the innovations and discoveries that we enable together will lead to better technologies, better treatments, and a better future. Find out how you can make a 10x difference.
Individuals seeking employment at 10x Genomics are considered without regards to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, or sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
10x does not accept unsolicited applicants submitted by third-party recruiters or agencies. Any resume or application submitted to 10x without a vendor agreement in place will be considered unsolicited and property of 10x, and 10x will not pay a placement fee.
Something looks off?